Friday, May 11, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

The Reading Mother
by Strickland Gillilan

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath

I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to a boy heart brings
Stories the stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be–
I had a Mother who read to me

This poem is such a wonderful tribute to all you mothers out there who take the time and energy to read aloud to your children! Your devotion and commitment deserve recognition. Your children will look back and treasure these hours. I have never met a person who grew up with a reading mother who ended up begrudging all those wonderful shared hours.

So, in honor of reading mothers everywhere, we at BFB would like to wish you a wonderful weekend and commend you on your work in opening new worlds to your children and creating priceless memories. You deserve credit for your stand against constant busy-ness in taking time to sit and read. And your hours of researching the best books for your children are a gift that will be rewarded. Be encouraged and know that what you are doing is of immense value. And try to take some time to read for your own pleasure! It's an important investment in your soul.

Happy Mother's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment